• FLTC Historic Men's Team
  • FLTC Historic Women's Team
  • FLTC Historic Club Members

Discover a Century of Sport

Join a club that is truly part of Sheffield's sporting history

Established in 1910

Fulwood Sports Club has been in existence for over a century and its history is something our members are very proud of. The club continues to maintain many fine traditions and rules that have served it well for generations. Today we are a thoroughly modern sports club with some of Sheffield's finest playing surfaces for Squash, Tennis, Snooker and Bowls as well as being the proud guardians of Sheffield’s last remaining Lawn Tennis courts.

When you join Fulwood Sports Club you are helping to continue a rare legacy of sporting history in Sheffield.

The FSC timeline

1910

The club was Incorporated on 20th October 1910 as the Fulwood Bowling & Tennis Club Ltd., with a share capital of £1,250 divided into 250 shares of £5 each. By December, from take up of 102 shares and a bank loan of £300, sufficient money was raised to purchase one acre of the two on offer from Mr Henry Isaac Dixon, of Stumperlowe Hall, and work commenced to put down the Bowling Green and the three grass Tennis Courts.

1912

In April, the Green and the Courts were opened for play and the main Tennis Pavilion was opened in May.

1913

A shale court in front of the Pavilion was built and opened in May.

1914

The Bowler's Retreat was opened in May.

1915

Mains gas was brought onto site and gas lighting was installed in the Tennis Pavilion.

1917-20

Annual staged payments were made to secure the second acre of land from Mr Dixon.

1919

Billiards was established as a separate Section. Games continued to be played in the Tennis pavilion but were necessarily restricted to the winter months.

1921

An old Army hut was bought for the Billiards' Section and erected in its present position on land leased from Mr Dixon, called The Plantation.

1922

The Ladies' Tennis Team wins Division 1 of the Sheffield & District LTA League.

1923

The last of the original 250 Shares was purchased, thirteen years after first being available.

1924

The Ladies' Tennis Team repeats their success of 1922.

1925-28

Electricity was brought onto the site and electric lighting was installed in each building in turn over the period.

1925

The Plantation was purchased from Mr Dixon.

1926

The first Lady Bowlers' Pavilion was built.

1928

In June, three shale courts were opened on the second acre of land purchased in 1921.

1932-35

The Ladies' Tennis Team wins Division 1 of the Sheffield & District LTA League in 1932, 1934 and 1935.

1936

The Lady Bowlers' Pavilion was replaced by a new building and opened in May.

1947

The Men's Tennis Team wins Division 1 of the Sheffield & District LTA League.

1949

Both Ladies' and Men's Tennis Teams each win Division 1 of the Sheffield & District Leagues, at the time, only the third occasion in the history of the League that the winners are from the same club.

1952

The Ladies' Tennis Team wins Division 1 again.

1954

The Company's Articles of Association were amended to allow play on the Courts and the Green for the first time on Sundays.

1960

To commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the formation of the Company, the Snooker Room building was replaced by a new building.

1973

A small Bar was opened at one end of the Snooker Room. Members originally staffed it voluntarily.

1974

The Company changed its name from the Fulwood Bowling & Tennis Club Ltd., to the Fulwood Sports Club Ltd.

1976

The first two Squash Courts were built and were opened by the Master Cutler, Mr David S.W. Lee.

1981

Two further Squash Courts were built and were opened by Fran Marshall, the 1960 British Women's Open Champion and eighteen times Yorkshire Women's Champion.

1983

A sprinkler system was installed on the bottom three shale Courts.

1987

The sprinkler system was extended onto the Bowling Green.

1989

The three shale courts were converted into All-weather Courts.

1990

The Men's Squash Team wins Division 1 of the the Sheffield & District Squah Rackets Association League. Also in this year after 80 years of running their own affairs, the two sections of the Bowling Club - The Lady Bowlers and the Gentlemen Bowlers - amalgamate to form just one Section.

1991

Floodlights were installed on the All-weather Courts.

1996

The Men's Tennis Team wins Division 1 of the Sheffield & District LTA League.

2002

The Rt. Hon. Richard Caborn, M.P. Minister of Sport, opened the Snooker Room building, after an extensive refurbishment scheme.